Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Vidyalayam (College of Music) is an associate of Sri Sathguru Sangeetha Samajam and was inaugurated in the year 1959 by T.T.Krishnamachari whose devotion to music is well known. The samajam itself was born in the year 1950 mainly due to the efforts of musicians and art lovers, led by the late Sri Nagaswamy Bhagavathar, and Mrudanga vidwan Sri Muruga Bhupathi who was its first president.
These two institutions have been lucky in getting sustained support from munificent philanthropists of Madurai and especially from the house of TVS, due to whose efforts, Lakshmi Sundaram Hall, the building of Samajam and Vidyalayam has been constructed. The foundation for this temple of art was laid by His Highness the Maharaja of Mysore, the well known patron of arts and the building of the Samajam was declared open by Raja Sir M.A.Muthiah Chittiyar and that of the Vidyalayam block by Sri T.T.Krishnamachari.
The four year Sangeetha Siromani course was started in the year 1966 and the B.Music degree course in the year 1969 and the PUC course in the academic year 1971-72.
The Vidyalayam is being staffed by eminent teachers and has become widely known as premier teaching institution of Carnatic music in India. This institution which bears the name of "Sri Sathguru" who showed us the way of this sweet melodious path to "moksha" is dedicated to the service of art for art"s sake and will ever cherish his great memory and strive with single minded devotion and dedication to serve Carnatic music and other fine arts.